I receive many questions about audition beauty tips, and I recently received a great question about standing out with your hair style.
How can I stand out in a good way at auditions with my hair?
I’ve always had great luck with wearing my hair curly, and I have found that it is a great way to stand out. If you take a look at many teams, you’ll notice that many girls wear their hair straight with soft waves curled with a curling iron. Now don’t get me wrong, this is a beautiful look, but it may not be the look that will get you noticed at auditions.
What I love about auditions is that you have the opportunity to express your style. Well before your audition, experiment with hair color, highlights and even haircuts. However, before you start exploring, make sure you rule out any extreme looks like colorful highlights, super long extensions, or even bold coloring.
Here is some great advice for my beautiful brunettes…
My brunette beauties… Show off your dark locks and add some depth and movement by adding highlights or lowlights. With your highlights, be careful about going too light. The last thing you want is to look like a skunk. So, whether you have black or brown hair, you may want to tell your hairdresser that you would like highlights with a caramel toner. In our minds we may want blonde highlights, however, the look we truly want is a caramel/copper color. This will blend better with your darker hair and avoid giving you that striped/contrasted look.
If you’re more of a solid hair color kind of gal, consider getting lowlights to provide depth to your hair or a color booster. A color booster will increase color performance and give your hair that extra oomph you’re looking for.
My blonde bombshells and ravishing redheads… you ladies are up next! Stay posted for specific tips!
- Instead of wearing your hair with soft waves, consider wearing it completely straight using a flat-iron. Super straight hair looks awesome when you are dancing too–so that’s always a plus.
- Consider bangs–but only if you’re super sure! Allow time for growing them back out if you’re not happy with them. For a more subtle look, try swooped bangs.
- If you’re a curly head, dare to stand out—because you will. Myself and my lovely teammates from the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, Nicole and Courtney, rocked our natural curls. If you need help perfecting your curls, try out my curly hair recipe here.
- Try adding subtle layers to add thickness if you struggle with thin hair.
- If you want to wear extensions, make sure that you have a professional stylist blend your own hair with the extensions for a more natural look.
Be careful experimenting with hair color. Adding chemicals to your hair is already damaging, so make sure that you tryout new styles with a professional hairstylist. You will be devastated if you have to audition with damaged and chemically over processed hair.