I’ve been through it all… Cheerleading tryouts, dance company auditions, and pro cheerleading auditions. So what were they looking for?Here is the inside scoop on what the directors and judges want…
Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders
We are a precision based all-female dance team with an emphasis on synchronization and game day performance. Cheerleaders, athletes, and technically trained dancers provide a unique balance to the team. The stunt team is comprised of males and females with knowledge and/or some experience in the sport of cheerleading. A good height-to-weight ratio, athleticism, control, poise, and strength are some of the qualities sought after for the only full Co-ed stunt team existing in the NFL.
– Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders
See more from Chris Traczyk on YouTube!
See more from Baltimore Ravens on YouTube!
Crowd Appeal: Within a professional organization such as the Baltimore Ravens, it is very important to select cheerleaders that are appealing to the crowd. You must keep in mind that the goal of this organization is to perform with precision and synchronization—so this team really values creating good quality entertainment for the Ravens fans. During the many pauses that exist within an exciting football game—somebody needs to maintain the energy of the stadium. So who better than cheerleaders? This organization is looking for cheerleaders that will make the fans want to watch them perform.
- Do they look well put together?
- Do their face expressions entertain the crowd and make them want to keep watching?
- Do they look like they can serve as an ambassador to the organization?
Precision: Precision, or accuracy—when it comes to dancing is extremely important. One thing to keep in mind about professional cheerleading is that pro cheerleaders are really dance teams. Most pro cheerleaders grew up in the dance studio and are very familiar with dance technique. With the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders, they are looking for dancers and stunters that can perform not only individually, but also as a team.
- Is their timing with dancing and stunting accurate with the music and counts?
- Are they capable of performing as a team? Or do individuals stand out in a way that is distracting to the eye?
- Do their motions and dance moves match those of the choreographer? Or does the dancer/cheerleader lack the fundamentals skills when it comes to arm placement or technicality?
Power: Power when dancing and stunting is a skill that is usually universal when it comes to professional cheerleading—and the Baltimore Ravens are no different. They are looking for cheerleaders that can produce movements that are sharp, powerful and big! And the same goes for their awesome and explosive stunts. So power is a must for the enormous stadium they are performing within.
Physical Appearance and Athletic Ability: I would hate to be a judge when it comes to scoring based on physical appearance, because how can you score looks? However, the reality is that physical appearance is another big part of being selected as a professional cheerleader. The Baltimore Ravens have beautiful women that seem to take care of their bodies. The men also must be selected based on their athletic ability. The men should be physically fit to stunt for long periods of time—so stamina is super important.
- Do they look physically fit? Or will their body compliment the team uniform?
- Do they have enough stamina to perform with full energy for a 4 hour NFL game?
Professionalism: Like stated in the introduction, the Baltimore Ravens are looking for poised cheerleaders. Within any professional organization—especially when you are expected to represent that organization, it is very important to carry yourself with professionalism. This means that you should appear as an individual that the team can be proud of. In most cases, cheerleaders are expected to attend appearances, thus representing the organization. This means showing up on time with a smile on your face, and being able to answer questions, or handle situations in a manner that represent the team well.
- Can they speak to an audience in a professional manner?
- Do they show signs of being prepared? Did they show up on time with everything that was asked of them?
Technical Dance Ability: Many people think it doesn’t require any skill to be a cheerleader, however, when they show up to the open call audition, they are often times surprised. Professional cheerleading requires an extensive background in dance. In most cases, you must have some knowledge in Jazz, Pom, and Hip Hop—NFL cheerleading is usually a combination of the three. The Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders incorporate all three dance styles, as well as highly advanced cheer and stunt building—they have the best of both worlds.
- Does the individual demonstrate proper technique with turns, kicks, leaps, stunting, tumbling, etc…?
- Are they able to catch on quickly to the choreography? Can they perform the choreography after it was taught?
- Count how many cheerleaders were on the team for the past two years.
- Study the history and current football team facts.
- Make sure you know the name of the cheerleader’s director.
- Watch videos of the cheerleaders to study their dance style.
- Work on building stamina by doing cardio at least 4 times a week.
- Study current events.
- Experiment with hair and make up and use their current cheerleaders as a guide.
- Work on getting abs by using my fitness resources.
- Select your audition attire.
- Start working on eating well-balanced meals to keep your body energized–No crash dieting or fasting!
- Take dance technique classes and choreography classes. Click here for my choreography page.
For more information on the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders and their audition process, click here!