“The Often Imitated, Never equaled, Internationally Acclaimed, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders”
History… Tradition… Innovation…
By Sasha Agent
“The name itself brings to each of us images of an American icon – beautiful ladies decked out in blue and white uniforms cheering America’s Team on to victory; precision dance routines that require a combination of stamina, flexibility and timing that would leave most of us gasping – yet they smile and dance on; or for some, it’s the time that we met one of them and she signed an autograph and we spent a few minutes talking…the images differ, but each holds a special place. And today’s phenomenon of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders is equally special. Everywhere across the country or around the world that any of these young ladies appear thousands of fans congregate looking for the opportunity for a photograph, an autograph, or a few moments to say hello. America’s Sweethearts have truly become the darlings of the National Football League.”
–The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders
I had the privilege of being selected to dance as a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader for two incredible seasons, 2010-2012. I was selected by my teammates as Rookie of the Year, and my second year I got to experience a fulfilling season as a veteran. I’ve learned so much because of this organization, and I will always value what I learned from director, Kelli Finglass and choreographer, Judy Trammell.
If you are brave enough to step before the cameras and audition for this team, you have already made a huge accomplishment. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders’ audition process is one of a kind and is extremely difficult. However, whether or not you make the team, in the end you will find that the experience was well worth it.
Check out more from CMT on YouTube!
Check out more from trailerchoirtv on YouTube!
Crowd Appeal: Within a professional organization such as the Dallas Cowboys, it is
very important to select cheerleaders that have crowd appeal. Not only do the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders entertain 80,000 fans plus each home game, but they also partake in entertaining the entire Dallas Cowboys fan base–which is worldwide. These women must be able to interact with and entertain fans all over the world, while maintaining the qualities of a true American Sweetheart.
- Do they look well put together?
- Do their face expressions and dance style entertain the crowd and make them want to keep watching?
- Do they look and sound as if they can serve as an ambassador to the organization?
Precision: Precision, or accuracy—when it comes to dancing on this team is extremely important. One thing to keep in mind about professional cheerleading is that pro cheerleaders are really dance teams. Most pro cheerleaders grew up in the dance studio and are very familiar with dance technique. With the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, they are looking for dancers that can perform not only as individuals, but also as a team. From their traditional kickline and innovative choreography, choreographed by the incredible Judy Trammell, to their perfected formations and transitions–it is no wonder why this team receives so much publicity and recognition.
- Is their timing accurate with the music and counts?
- Are they capable of dancing as a team? Or do they stand out in a way that is distracting to the eye?
- Do their motions and dance moves match those of the choreographer? Or does the dancer lack the fundamentals skills when it comes to arm placement or technicality?
Power: Power when dancing is a skill that is usually universal when it comes to professional cheerleading—and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are no different. They are looking for cheerleaders that can produce movements that are sharp, powerful and big! This is a must for the enormous stadium they are performing within. For a quick tutorial on dancing with power click here!
Physical Appearance and Athletic Ability: I would hate to be a judge when it comes to
scoring based on physical appearance, however; the reality is that physical appearance is a big part of being selected as a professional cheerleader. The Dallas Cowboys organization takes pride in selecting women who are both beautiful and physically fit. Upon making it into training camp, the candidates will undergo a beauty makeover and will be expected to maintain their physical look. These women are not only dancers, but they’re also athletes–so it is very important that you are physically and mentally prepared to withstand hours of dancing full out at practices, games and other performances. Click here for my 30 Day Pro Cheer Abdominal Challenge and here for pre-audition nutritional tips.
- Do they look physically fit? Or will their body compliment the team uniform?
- Do they have enough stamina to perform with full energy for a 4 hour NFL game?
Professionalism: Like stated in the introduction, the Dallas Cowboys are looking for America’s Sweethearts–meaning they want women that will stop and speak to a fan with generosity and genuine interest. Within any professional organization—especially when you are expected to represent that organization, it is very important to carry yourself with professionalism. This means that you should appear as an individual that the team can be proud of. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are expected to attend appearances, and therefore represent the organization. This means showing up on time with a smile on your face, being able to answer questions from fans or the press, and handling situations in a manner that represent the team well whether you are in or out of the uniform. With the Cowboys, you are an ambassador for the organization. For more on professionalism click here!
- Can they speak to an audience in a professional manner?
- Do they show signs of being prepared? Did they show up on time with everything that was asked of them?
- Do they engage in activities that do not uphold the standards of the organization?
Technicality and Dance Ability: Many people think it doesn’t require any skill to be a cheerleader, however, when they show up to the open call audition—they are often surprised. Professional cheerleading requires an extensive background in dance. In most cases, you must have knowledge in Jazz, Pom, and Hip Hop—NFL cheerleading is usually a combination of the three. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders incorporate all three dance styles in addition to stunting, tumbling and even lyrical.
- Does the individual demonstrate proper technique with turns, kicks, leaps, etc…?
- Are they able to catch on quickly to the choreography? Can they perform the choreography after it was taught?
- Study the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders history facts. This team is rich in history and tradition. Click here for their amazing evolution.
- Study the history of the Dallas Cowboys and know current football team facts.
- Make sure you know background information about the DCC director, Kelli Finglass, and how she has taken this team and created an international brand.
- Watch videos of the cheerleaders to study their dance style.
- Work on building stamina by doing cardio at least 4 times a week.
- Study current events.
- Experiment with hair and make up to find a look that enhances your natural beauty.
- Work on getting abs by using my fitness resources.
- Start shopping online for audition attire.
- Start working on eating well-balanced meals to keep your body energized–No crash dieting or fasting! Click here for nutrition tips!
- Take dance technique classes and choreography classes.
- Take advantage of the DCC audition prep classes. See the link here!
- See their FAQs.